The Collaborative Learning Center (CLC) is Unity’s enrichment and academic support center.
Located in the new academic building, the CLC is staffed by a team of committed professionals and a dedicated group of peer tutors.
The mission of the CLC is to provide the support and services necessary for all enrolled students to enhance their academic achievements. We offer tutorial and study skills assistance to all enrolled students and provide specialized services and accommodations for students with diagnosed learning differences. The CLC’s peer tutors offer tutorial support in a wide range of courses and disciplines to all enrolled students. Students seeking support for any phase of the writing process are encouraged to visit the CLC. The peer tutors are successful students who are trained in interpersonal communication and effective study techniques, as well as tutorial strategies. The peer tutor schedule is revised every semester and shows each tutor’s specific expertise and work hours. Peer tutors are available in the CLC seven days a week and a number of faculty members from across campus also hold regular office hours in the CLC, encouraging all students to take advantage of the facility and all aspects of academic support.
Collaborative Learning Center Services At a Glance:
- Proctoring for students who take their exams in the CLC
- Assistance to faculty and staff through training and consulting, particularly regarding learning differences
- Offering mini workshops on skills and strategies for students (for example, note taking)
- Ensuring that ADA guidelines are followed for students with disabilities
- Serving as an advocate for students with disabilities
Collaborative Learning Center Staff and Faculty:
Bobbi Thomas: Dean of Academic Support: 207-509-7265
Lisa Bierre: ADA Coordinator: 207-509-7262
Specialized services and academic accommodations for students with diagnosed learning differences are also offered through the CLC. These services and accommodations are designed to allow students with disabilities to participate as fully as possible in all aspects of Unity’s academic programs. These services and accommodations are available only to students who provide documentation of their disabilities certified by the CLC’s Learning Specialist. Typical accommodations include note-taking assistance, extended time for quizzes and exams, completing quizzes and exams in the CLC, having exam questions interpreted and being provided access to assistive technology, such as Dragon NaturallySpeaking and Kurzweil 3000.
Information and Forms for Students with Special Needs
- Special Accessibility and Accommodations Request Form 1: Housing Accommodations
- Special Accessibility and Accommodations Request Form 2: Mobility Impairment
- Special Accessibility and Accommodations Request Form 3: Academic Accommodations
- Student Accessibility & Accommodation Requests: General Information
- Accommodation Rights and Responsibilities
- Suggestions for Faculty and Campus Worksite Supervisors Regarding Students with Disabilities
- Links to Videos Intended to Help Students with Study Habits and Learning Techniques
- Unity College Emotional Support Animal Protocol
- Request Form for Emotional Support Animal
- Monday - Thursday: 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Saturday and Sunday: 12:00 noon to 4:00 p.m.