Explore the wild places of Maine by foot carrying everything you need in your pack.
On each trip you will:
- Hike Maine’s scenic trails and camp at remote campsites
- Explore the natural surroundings that support a diverse population of wildlife including loons, bald eagles, coyote, beaver, otter and moose
- Learn skills such as stove use, cooking, management of the trail, topographical map reading, GPS navigation/compass, first aid, leadership, local ecology, and other various outdoor skills
- Learn and practice Leave No Trace principles
- Give back to the location by providing a service such as building bridges, maintaining trails, clearing campsites, building lean-tos and much more
Grafton Notch: Backpacking
Dates: July 31 - Aug 4 (FULL)
Prior Experience Required: Yes
Exertion Level: Moderate - Strenuous - must be able to carry a 40lb pack.
This trip will take you to Maine’s best backpacking destination among some of the state’s most spectacular mountains. The Grafton Notch loop is located in Western Maine right in the heart of Grafton Notch State Park. During your trek you will traverse four mountain peaks and camp in primitive campsites. If you are a backpacker this is the trip for you. Not for new boots! This trip will cover approximately 20 miles of mountainous trails.
Camden Hills: Backpacking
Dates: July 17-21 (FULL) and Aug 21-25 (FULL)
Prior Experience Required: No
Exertion Level: Moderate - must be able to carry a 40lb pack
If you have never tried backpacking this trip is designed for you. Spend the week at Camden Hills State Park enjoying the scenic vistas overlooking Penobscot Bay. The backpacking trip starts at Spring Brook Ski Lodge where we will use the cabin as home base for the night. We will continue the next day to the summit of Bald Rock Mountain. Sleep under the stars with views of the Penobscot Bay. Our last day of hiking will be the longest through different terrain. This trip will cover approximately 12 miles of trail.