How to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) to update Your FAFSA for Verification.
1. Visit fafsa.gov
2. Log in under “Returning User” using your FSA ID and password (Student’s information is needed)
3. Click on “Make FAFSA Corrections,” and create a Save Key.
4. Go to the “Financial Information” section.
5. Locate the “Have you completed your IRS income tax return?” question and change the response from “Will File” to “Already Completed.” Filter questions will appear that will determine whether the IRS DRT can be used.
6. If all filter questions can be answered “No,” click on “Link to the IRS” (a parent will have to provide his or her FSA ID to retrieve parent tax information).
7. Once in the IRS site, provide the required information and click “Submit.” In order for retrieval to work, the address entered must match the address on file with the IRS exactly. Once the retrieved information is displayed, click on the box to enable the “Transfer Now” button.
8. Click on the “Transfer Now” button and the information will transfer back to the FAFSA. DO NOT change any of the information that was transferred from the IRS.
9. Repeat this process for the parent(s) and student if both parties provided financial information on the FAFSA and filed a tax return. If one party was not required to file a tax return, be sure that it is indicated on the FAFSA.
10. Once all updates and transfer are complete, review your FAFSA summary and submit the FAFSA. The information will be processed by the federal processing center and sent to all schools listed on the FAFSA.
If you have any questions, contact the Financial Aid Office at 207-509-7235 or firstname.lastname@example.org.