Dean of the Technical Institute for Environmental Professions
Dr. Kahlon is a nationally recognized leader in competency-based education (CBE) with a passion for innovation. With over two decades of experience in higher education, she is dedicated to delivering high-quality, equitable, robust, and flexible face-to-face and online programs focused on access and outcomes.
Her many previous roles include faculty, administrator, consultant, and researcher. She has rich experiences in working across the board — with industry, students, faculty, and other institutions of higher education. Further, she has provided consulting to both US and foreign institutions.
Dr. Kahlon spent a sabbatical year (2013-14) in India as the founding Dean of Academics at an emerging new university. She has presented at local, state, and international conferences, been invited to speak in different forums on the topic of CBE and innovation in higher education, and presented as a keynote speaker. In addition, her honors include being profiled as a top ten innovator by The Chronicle of Higher Education and various teaching excellence awards.
Prior to joining Unity College, Dr. Kahlon served as an Assistant Dean of Distance Learning and External Partnerships as well as the director of the Women in Technology Program at Austin Community College in Austin, Texas. In addition, she has been a teaching professor for over two decades.
Kahlon earned a Master’s in Computer Science from Binghamton University and a doctorate in Education Administration from The University of Texas at Austin.
An executive position providing leadership and management, the Dean of the Technical Institute for Environmental Professions (DTIEP) oversees leadership, planning, coordination, and evaluation of all instructional and operational components of the Technical Institute to ensure enrollment and revenue growth of Unity College. The DTIEP works with senior leadership to establish the strategic direction of the Technical Institute for Environmental Professions within the strategic framework of the College. Working within a model of functional leadership, the DTI is responsible for all aspects of TIEP which supports degrees and micro-credentials relating to training focused on preparing students for technical careers in areas relating to environmental and sustainability studies. This position will enhance and expand Unity College curriculum offerings through the development of a differentiated curriculum and associated student services and recruitment plans.
1. Responsible for a scalable growth model to ensure continued enrollment and revenue growth including alternative revenue streams.
2. Ensure all degree programs, non-degree courses, and micro-credentials are key components of TI scalability.
3. Responsible for administration and integrity of program curriculum and operations and advances the strategic plan and priorities of Unity College.
4. Actively engages students, faculty, and staff to further behaviors, attitudes, and policies that support diversity, equity, and inclusion.
5. Based on adopted Enterprise Budget Guide, responsible for Technical Institute budget management including creating annual budgets based on need, allocation, and expenditure of resources and accountability.
6. Meet enrollment, revenue, quality, student satisfaction, and margin goals. Works with professional staff in creating and maintaining student recruitment and retention processes
7. Implement workforce development training programs that engage local and regional business partners.
8. Design, develop, and implement technical and applied curricular programming that addresses identified student needs and marketplace relevance.
9. Coordinate the establishment of goals, objectives, and priorities for technical training and associated resources. 10. Supervises all decentralized TI Staff.
11. Coordinates and manages all programmatic initiatives related to technical training.
12. Supervises full-time and adjunct faculty. Is responsible for recruiting, appointment, re-appointment, termination, and dismissal of full-time and adjunct faculty.
13. Determine optimal efficiency in modality of curricular design efforts.
14. Expand and implement assessment systems to measure achievement of student learning and institutional outcomes and develop and enact plans for adjustment as indicated by results.
15. Supports the Chief Learning Officer with strategic curricular initiatives, related co-curricular and student success programs, advising system development, assessment design and implementation, and meeting accreditation goals.
16. Maintain good working relationships with faculty, staff, and administration in all academic and co-curricular areas and leverage those relationships in support of the institutional vision.
17. Communicate effectively with constituencies within and external to the institution and the broader professional communities.
18. Serve as liaison with relevant professional associations and institutions, as well as state, regional, and national regulatory and accrediting agencies as assigned.
19. Advance the strategic plan and priorities of Unity College.
20. Follow and enforce College policies and procedures and communicate institutional policies and priorities to members of the College community. Develop policies as necessary through official College process.
21. Maintains a robust and effective advising process in conjunction with academic and student success staff. Receives and adjudicates student concerns as part of the academic complaint process. Resolves student issues satisfactorily.
22. Maintain student records with precision, discretion, and confidentiality.
23. Develops, publishes, and provides appropriate communication and reports to campus offices routinely and upon special request.
24. Collaborates with campus offices to train all Technical Institute staff in all aspects of retention and persistence of enrolled students. Assists all Directors in the training of their staffs as required.