Dr. Amy Arnett
Vice President of Distance Education
Dr. Amy Arnett is the Vice President for Distance Education and Professor of Ecology at Unity College. Dr. Arnett has been a professor at Unity College since 1999. She received a BS in Biology from the University of Michigan and a Ph.D. in Biology from the University of Vermont. She conducted Postdoctoral Research at the University of Nebraska on the impact of invasive species on native communities.
Dr. Arnett studies insect ecology and has published widely in ecology and entomology journals. She was a 2009 Fulbright Scholar and studied with colleagues in Slovenia. Recently she was the recipient, along with colleagues, of a large National Science Foundation grant to study the impact of invasive pests in hemlock forests. Dr. Arnett brings a depth of ecological knowledge to the MS program along with years of teaching experience connecting with students and helping them work toward their career goals.
An executive position providing leadership and management, the Vice President of Distance Education (VPDE) oversees leadership, planning, coordination, and evaluation of all instructional and operational components of Distance Education at Unity College. The VPDE works with senior leadership to establish the strategic direction of the college with regard to Distance Education. The VPDE works with the President and senior leadership to continue to transform Unity College from a college with a strong regional presence to a leading national institution of higher education. Within the framework of functional leadership, the VPDE supports and is supported by other senior level leaders and works with all constituencies to realize the Unity College Mission and Strategic Plan. The VPDE reports to the President.
1. Responsible for administration and integrity of program curriculum and operation and advances the strategic plan and priorities of Unity College. Responsible for administration and integrity of program curriculum and operation and advances the strategic plan and priorities of Unity College.
2. Responsible for distance education budget management including creating annual budgets based on need, and allocation and expenditure of resources and accountability.
3. Meets enrollment, revenue, and quality, pace, student satisfaction and margin goals. Works with professional staff in creating and maintaining student recruitment and retention processes.
4. Coordinates and manages all distance education initiatives.
5. Coordinates the establishment of goals, objectives, and priorities for distance education, educational technology, and distance education learning resources.
6. Supervises full time and adjunct faculty. Is responsible for recruiting, appointment, re-appointment, termination, and dismissal of full time and adjunct faculty.
7. Maintains a program of assessment to measure achievement of student learning and institutional outcomes, and develops and enacts plans for adjustment as indicated by results.
8. Maintains a robust and effective advising process in conjunction with academic and student success staff. Receives and adjudicates student concerns as part of the academic complaint process. Resolves student issues satisfactorily.
9. Aligns Distance Education planning and initiatives with Enterprise priorities.
10. Creates Distance Education specific goals that align with Enterprise strategy and mission.
11. Supports revenue generation at the Enterprise level.
12. Ensures achievement of student/client outcomes.
13. Ensures educational effectiveness; client satisfaction; Distance Education specific measures of product success.
14. Ensures financial viability of Distance Education.
15. Meets revenue, margin and cost-containment goals.
16. Supports other SEBUs and increased capacity as coordinated by the Enterprise through joint opportunities, cost-sharing, etc.
17. Collaborates with other school officials to maintain college accreditation.
18. Supervises professional staff and facilitates the creation, organization, and implementation of professional development programs/activities related to distance education.
19. Maintains knowledge of current trends and developments in the field by attending professional development training, workshops, seminars and conferences and by reading professional literature in the related technical field.
20. Collaborates with and utilizes resources of senior staff team to promote courses and programs at college and job fairs, tradeshows, participation in community groups as well as speaking to groups and organizations.
21. Develops annual distance education course schedules which respond to the needs of currently enrolled learners and assures proper sequencing of classes while maintaining (or moving toward) targeted course and program enrollments.
22. Ensures Unity College policies are being enforced by having a thorough knowledge of staff functions, administrative functions, and policy manuals.
23. Monitors and reviews all course syllabi for compliance with appropriate established templates.
24. Ensures the Distance Education Department maintains a culture of superior customer service through example, encouragement, and direction to staff and faculty to ensure superior customer service as a competitive advantage.
25. Develops, publishes, and provides appropriate communication and reports to campus offices routinely and upon special request.
26. Collaborates with campus offices to train all Distance Education staff in all aspects of retention and persistence of enrolled students. Assists all Directors in the training of their staffs as required.
27. Facilitates and endorses direct access between the President and their direct reports to include responding to specific requests from the President.