Chief Advancement Officer
Rachel Kahn is the Chief Advancement Officer (CAdO) at Unity College, providing first among equals oversight for functions like student financial services, fundraising, career services, administrative operations, and marketing efforts. She received her bachelor’s degree in History Education from Siena College in New York and a master’s degree in Higher Education Administration from Southern New Hampshire University.
When Rachel first joined Unity College in 2017, she served in several roles related to admissions and career services before becoming Director of Career Services in 2019. In that role, she transitioned career services from an internal to an external-facing office with a focus on student outcomes and partnership development. Before coming to Unity College, Rachel held roles in higher education financial aid, student services, student accounts, registrar, and recruitment offices.
The Chief Advancement Officer (CAdO) leads efforts to open new markets, increase national awareness, place graduates, and raise funds for Unity College. The CAdO’s scope of authority includes development, career services, student financial services, administrative operations, and marketing. The CAdO works with senior leadership to establish strategic direction and leads execution of institutional positioning, marketing, career services, student financial services, fundraising, alumni and donor relations and management efforts. The CAdO works with the President and senior leadership to continue to transform Unity College from a college with a strong regional presence to a leading national institution of higher education. The successful CAdO will provide the college with grounded creativity through proven strategy, data-based decision-making, and industry-disrupting invention. Within the framework of functional leadership, the CAdO supports and is supported by other senior level leaders and works with all constituencies to realize the Unity College Mission and Strategic Plan. The CAdO reports to the President.
1. Leads fundraising, career services, student financial services, administrative operations, and marketing efforts at Unity College and ensures achievement of institutionally established key-performance-indicators and revenue goals for each.
2. Provides support to Vice Presidents, and Chief Learning Officer to integrate curricular, co-curricular, and residential components into a transformative and developmentally-differentiated living and learning experience through the educational framework of sustainability science.
3. Works with President to develop and execute an integrated career services, fundraising and philanthropy, positioning, marketing and communication plan that advances the institution’s strategic plan and mission, ensures attainment of fundraising goals, differentiates Unity College, and increases its national exposure.
4. Works with the President to steward the Unity College Mission and establish enterprise-wide vision and strategic direction.
5. Identifies new educational and business opportunities and assigns to Sustainable Educational Business Units (SEBUs) for development (or develop new SEBUs).
6. Establish appropriate measures of success for individual units.
7. Provide centralized planning and policies for enterprise-wide functions.
8. Manages internal/external controls over decentralized functions.
9. Coordinates with President and senior leaders to identify emerging college needs and priorities which may require targeted, private fundraising efforts.
10. Oversees institutional relationships with potential major donors, including regular communications and ensures stewardship in recognition of donor philanthropy.
11. Maintains own prospect portfolio and meets annual goals as set by President.
12. Establishes communication and events plans related to fundraising and alumni relations. Provides resources, information, input, and support to marketing and events departments on execution of same.
13. Manages annual and special campaigns, corporate and foundation support and reporting, major planned giving.
14. Oversees planning and execution for alumni relations and giving programs designed to maximize alumni support for Unity College.
15. Manages and analyzes research for fundraising efforts utilizing donor and prospect database.
16. Provides informed, effective, and collaborative leadership within a model of functional leadership and shared governance.
17. Provides supervision and management oversight for assigned areas in marketing, communications, career services, administrative operations, and student financial services.
18. Directly supervises unit managers in assigned areas. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the institution’s policies and procedures, laws, and regulations.
19. Establishes and maintains departmental plans for each supervisory area including goals, measurable outcomes, assessment plans, budget, timeline, and benchmarks for each.
20. Advocates for institutional resources to create and maintain high quality programs and initiatives and prepares and manages the budget for areas of oversight.
21. Manages financial, material, and personnel resources in accordance with enterprise policies and in alignment with the strategic plan.
22. Continually assess and strengthens all phases of each functional area to improve processes and efficiencies.
23. Facilitates and endorses direct access between the President and their direct reports to include responding to specific requests from the President.
24. Develops and executes integrated administrative operations that advance the institution’s strategic plan and mission, supports attainment of revenue goals, differentiates Unity College, and increases its national exposure.