Chief of Staff
Rachel Kahn is the Chief of Staff (CoS) at Unity College, providing first among equals leadership, management, and coordination in the development and implementation of institutional initiatives and emerging priorities with a focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion as well as Unity College’s strategic plan. She received her bachelor’s degree in History Education from Siena College in New York and a master’s degree in Higher Education Administration from Southern New Hampshire University.
Since Rachel first joined Unity College in 2017, she has served in several roles related to admissions and career services before becoming Director of Career Services in 2019. In that role, she transitioned career services from an internal to an external-facing office with a focus on student outcomes and partnership development. Rachel then moved into the Chief Advancement Officer role, overseeing the areas of marketing and communications, career services, development, student financial services, and integrated enrollment services. Prior to joining Unity College, Rachel held roles in higher education financial aid, student services, student accounts, registrar, and recruitment offices.
An executive position, the Chief of Staff (CoS) provides leadership, management, and coordination of strategic initiatives and emerging priorities as an extension of the Office of the President. The CoS provides the college with nimble executive leadership, liaises with other senior campus officials, and manages key external relationships and partnerships including town and gown relationships. The CoS champions the importance and value of a diverse and inclusive college environment and leads the development of the President’s vision to create a measurable culture for equity, diversity, and inclusion. The CoS represents, advises, and provides day-to-day support to the President as needed and oversees the interdepartmental coordination of the President’s leadership team. Within the framework of functional leadership, the CoS supports and is supported by other senior level leaders and works with all constituencies to realize the Unity College Mission and Strategic Plan. The CoS reports to the President and receives all assignments and authority as an extension of that office.
1. Serves as the President’s primary liaison, advisor, and aide; and in collaboration with the President and the President Leadership team, executes Unity College’s priorities.
2. Acts as the centralized point of contact for all town and gown inquiries.
3. Under the President’s direction leads the development & implementation of proactive diversity, equity & inclusion initiatives in support of the College’s strategic plan to create a learning & working environment where all have an opportunity to succeed.
4. Actively engages students, faculty, and staff to further behaviors, attitudes, and policies that support diversity, equity, and inclusion.
5. Represents the President in a wide variety of circumstances, including meetings and events with internal and external constituencies and in a variety of locations both in-state and out.
6. Advances the office of the President as a college and higher education industry leader. Coordinates with the Marketing Department to establish marketing, communication, and media relations plans for the President’s office. Manages social media, PR, speaking engagements, and public events for President.
7. Works with senior leadership to ensure implementation of the Strategic Plan.
8. Manages projects as assigned. Ensures that all assigned initiatives are progressing effectively and according to planned objectives, established milestones and measurement criteria.
9. Supervises personnel and manages offices—often temporarily—as required by project and as assigned by the President. 9. Works as an extension of the President to develop and institutionalize new college initiatives, programs, partnerships, and enterprises.
10. Works with President and senior leadership to promote an institutional culture of progress, trust, and commitment to Unity College and its mission. Supports the cultivation of relationships, activities, and programs designed to support positive culture change. Supports the President in fostering an environment in which all members of the college community may learn, live and work in an atmosphere of mutual respect and nondiscrimination.
11. Facilitates meetings and task forces in relation to hiring, programs, and/or projects as assigned by the President. Participates as necessary in key constituent meetings to guide strategy, inform policy, ensure appropriate and responsive follow-up and accountability, and facilitates resolution of matters requiring the President’s attention.
12. As assigned by President, may provide long term oversight of select college personnel and departments—especially those routinely serving a campus-wide function or in transition.
13. Partners with the Executive Assistant to Relieve the President of administrative detail and provides principal management support to the President and assures the seamless functioning and management of the President’s Office. Assures that President receives all necessary preparatory and background information for daily meetings.
14. Keeps the President informed on all information that is relevant to their role and responsibilities. Reviews, researches and summarizes administrative information and data, prepares related reports and briefings for the President.
15. Manages communications for the Office of the President to ensure major community events such as convocation, commencement and other college events are planned and executed efficiently and effectively.
16. Maintains effective relationships and interacts on a regular basis with both internal and external constituencies in direct support of President’s strategic priorities.
17. Works closely with the offices of development and marketing in areas needing the attention/presence of the President.
18. Performs other related duties as required and deemed appropriate in support of the President and the responsibilities and functions of the office.
19. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, networking and attending professional development training.
20. Serves as a member of Senior Staff.
21. May serve as staff liaison to a standing Board of Trustees at the discretion of President.
22. Manages Strategic Plan initiatives and goals as assigned.
23. Supports institutional sustainability initiatives as a senior member of the college.