Vice President of Hybrid Learning
Zach Falcon is the Vice President for Hybrid Learning and Professor of Conservation Law Enforcement at Unity College, responsible for the leadership, planning, coordination, and evaluation of all instructional and operational components of Hybrid Learning.
He holds a B.A. in Anthropology from Columbia University, a J.D. from the University of Michigan Law School, and an M.F.A. in Fiction from the Iowa Writers’ Workshop at the University of Iowa. Prior to his appointment as Vice President for Hybrid Learning, he served Unity as the faculty moderator and as Chair for the Conservation Law Enforcement program.
Zach came to Unity from University of Iowa College of Law, where he was the Associate Director of the Writing Resource Center. During his legal career, he served in the State of Alaska Department of Law as an Assistant Attorney General, where he represented the state in civil litigation, administrative hearings, and permit appeals. He has also worked as a public defender in Juneau, Alaska, and as associate oversight counsel for the Resources Committee of the U.S. House of Representatives in Washington, D.C.
An executive position providing leadership and management, the Vice President of Hybrid Learning (VPHL) oversees leadership, planning, coordination, and evaluation of all instructional and operational components of Hybrid Learning at Unity College. The VPHL works with senior leadership to establish the strategic direction of the college with regard to Hybrid Learning. The VPHL works with the President and senior leadership to continue to transform Unity College from a college with a strong regional presence to a leading national institution of higher education. Within the framework of functional leadership, the VPHL supports and is supported by other senior level leaders and works with all constituencies to realize the Unity College Mission and Strategic Plan. The VPHL reports to the President.
- Responsible for administration and integrity of program curriculum and operation and advances the strategic plan and priorities of Unity College.
- Responsible for Hybrid Learning budget management including creating annual budgets based on need, and allocation and expenditure of resources and accountability.
- Meets enrollment, revenue, and quality, pace, student satisfaction and margin goals. Works with professional staff in creating and maintaining student recruitment and retention processes.
- Coordinates and manages all Hybrid Learning initiatives.
- Coordinates the establishment of goals, objectives, and priorities for Hybrid Learning, educational technology, and Hybrid Learning learning resources.
- Supervises full time and adjunct faculty. Is responsible for recruiting, appointment, re-appointment, termination, and dismissal of full time and adjunct faculty.
- Maintains a program of assessment to measure achievement of student learning and institutional outcomes and develops and enacts plans for adjustment as indicated by results.
- Maintains a robust and effective advising process in conjunction with academic and student success staff. Receives and adjudicates student concerns as part of the academic complaint process. Resolves student issues satisfactorily.
- Aligns Hybrid Learning planning and initiatives with Enterprise priorities.
- Creates Hybrid Learning specific goals that align with Enterprise strategy and mission.
- Supports revenue generation at the Enterprise level.
- Ensures achievement of student/client outcomes.
- Ensures educational effectiveness; client satisfaction; Hybrid Learning specific measures of product success.
- Ensures financial viability of Hybrid Learning.
- Meets revenue, margin and cost-containment goals.
- Supports other SEBUs and increased capacity as coordinated by the Enterprise through joint opportunities, cost-sharing, etc.
- Collaborates with other school officials to maintain college accreditation.
- Supervises professional staff and facilitates the creation, organization, and implementation of professional development programs/activities related to Hybrid Learning.
- Maintains knowledge of current trends and developments in the field by attending professional development training, workshops, seminars and conferences and by reading professional literature in the related technical field.
- Collaborates with and utilizes resources of senior staff team to promote courses and programs at college and job fairs, tradeshows, participation in community groups as well as speaking to groups and organizations.
- Develops annual Hybrid Learning course schedules which respond to the needs of currently enrolled learners and assures proper sequencing of classes while maintaining (or moving toward) targeted course and program enrollments.
- Ensures Unity College policies are being enforced by having a thorough knowledge of staff functions, administrative functions, and policy manuals.
- Monitors and reviews all course syllabi for compliance with appropriate established templates.
- Ensures Hybrid Learning maintains a culture of superior customer service through example, encouragement, and direction to staff and faculty to ensure superior customer service as a competitive advantage.
- Develops, publishes, and provides appropriate communication and reports to campus offices routinely and upon special request.
- Collaborates with campus offices to train all Hybrid Learning staff in all aspects of retention and persistence of enrolled students. Assists all Directors in the training of their staffs as required.
- Facilitates and endorses direct access between the President and their direct reports to include responding to specific requests from the President.