Planning Resources for Teaching and Working Remotely
Unity College is committed to providing resources to help faculty and staff plan for remote instruction. Please refer to the links below for additional details.
- The Library is offering walk-in consultation and scheduled workshops. (see below)
- Short-Term Remote Work Guidelines (see below)
- Teaching tools leveraging canvas and other campus-available technologies
- Information about open educational resources (OER)
- Additional pedagogical resources
- Registration FAQs for Advisors / Staff Liaison
Short-Term Remote Work Guidelines
If you have been approved for short term remote work, we are sharing guidelines and expectations for you to set up an effective remote work station and stay in contact with your supervisor and colleagues. You will find included in this email the processes to enable you to set up your station and maintain availability.
Prior to starting remote work, review the attached tip sheets and test your connectivity for the following:
- Test your remote connection for speed to make sure that the VPN connection will be adequate to do work. Included with the speed test tip sheet you will find helpful information on improving that connection should it test as below recommended speeds.
- Virtual Private Network (VPN) connects you to the College network, including shared drives and certain critical software.
- ShoreTel softphone connection allows you to send and receive calls through your computer in lieu of your desk phone.
- Also be sure to have Teams running on your laptop.
Note: If you do not currently have Teams or ShoreTel installed and running on your laptop – and you are working remotely – please send a helpdesk ticket so we can install that as soon as possible. Most software installations can be done remotely so we will not need the machine physically here to do so as long as you have your VPN connection working.
Once you are set up for remote work, it is the expectation that you will be connected and available to your supervisor and colleagues during your expected work hours. At all times when working remotely, make sure to have:
- Stable connection to the VPN
- ShoreTel running to receive calls – see tip sheet for making and taking calls.
- Microsoft Teams open to receive messages.
- You can also connect using Zoom and Skype
- Your Unity College email set up on your smartphone or tablet