open search


close window
close window
close window

Types of Aid

Ways to make

your education happen


Grants are awarded to students who demonstrate the need for assistance as determined by the Office of Financial Aid. Grants do not require repayment.

Federal Grant Programs

Funded by the federal government – Recipients must be enrolled in a degree program.

Pell Grants

  • For students with sufficient financial need as determined by your FAFSA*
  • Maximum award is $6,195
  • Amount will be included in Unity College total award
  • Award amounts vary, depending on federal funding levels

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG)

  • For undergraduates with exceptional financial need as determined by your FAFSA*
  • Amount will be included in Unity College total award
  • Award amounts vary, depending on federal funding levels


Scholarships. Includes both Unity College scholarships and private scholarships, including those specifically for Maine residents. Scholarships may have specific academic requirements, and generally do not require repayment.


A loan is money that you borrow and must pay back with interest. If you apply for financial aid, you may be offered loans as part of your financial aid award.

Federal Direct Loans (formerly known as Stafford Loans)

Federal Direct Subsidized Loans

  • Repayment deferred while student remains in school at least half-time
  • U.S. Department of Education pays interest while student remains in school at least half-time, and for 6 months after student leaves school
  • Maximum $3,500 first-year students; $4,500 second-year students; $5,500 third-, fourth-, and fifth-year students
  • Eligibility based on financial need and determined by the Office of Financial Aid

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans

  • All eligible students receive a base Unsubsidized Stafford loan
  • Student responsible for interest during all periods (including while in school)
  • Combined maximum Subsidized and Unsubsidized $5,500 first year students; $6,500 second year students; $7,500 third , fourth-, and fifth-year students

Federal Direct Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS Loans)

  • Federal loan program available to parents of dependent undergraduate students
  • Annual cost of attendance minus other aid per eligible student
  • Fixed interest rate and repayment schedule
  • Parents can request deferment of payments while the student is enrolled in school
  • For more information regarding Federal Direct PLUS Loans, visit

Alternative Loan Programs

Alternative Loans are private loans designed as an additional way to finance the costs of higher education when federal loan options are exhausted. They are offered through private lenders whose loans are not associated with federal student loan programs.  Because of this, terms and conditions vary greatly. Typically, private loans are credit-based. There are options for both student and parent borrowers, but most students will need a cosigner to participate. These programs offer both fixed and variable interest rate products with the ability to defer the payment of principal while the student is enrolled in school. FASTChoice helps you request the loan you determine is right for you by providing detailed information for various loans, as well as the terms and benefits offered by different lenders.

For more information on loans and loan counseling contact:

Faith Weymouth
Administrative Assistant / Work Study Coordinator

Office hours:
8:00 a.m to 4:30 p.m.

Work Study 

Federal work-study is a need-based employment opportunity that is awarded as part of some students’ financial aid packages.

Funds provided to Unity College by the federal government help to provide on-campus and off-campus jobs for students. Employment is part-time during the academic year.

To learn more about the work study opportunities available at Unity College, please stop by the Financial Aid office. There you will find a binder full of information on the types of jobs offered with full descriptions of each position. Students should refer to the SharePoint system for documents intended to help those who have been awarded work-study obtain a work-study job. If you are unable to access the documents via the SharePoint system, please contact us and we will be happy to mail you the documents you need via conventional mail. You may also stop by the Financial Aid Office and pick up the printed documents.