Unity College Earns Military Friendly StatusYellow Ribbon Program

We are proud to partner with the Veterans Administration to provide Yellow Ribbon benefits to qualified students. The Yellow Ribbon Program is part of the Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33). Unity offers three Yellow Ribbon Scholarships of up to $2000 to eligible undergraduate students.

Which Veterans Benefits Can I Use at Unity College?

Through the VA, Unity College administers education benefits to armed forces veterans and their families. Unity College is proud to support VA programs that assist our servicemen and women and their families in reaching their education goals. The education benefits that can be used at Unity College are listed below.  Learn more information about VA education benefits. Additional information for veterans is available here.

  • Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty (Chapter 30)*
  • Montgomery GI Bill® – Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)*
  • Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33)*
  • Survivors and Dependents Education Assistance Program (Chapter 35)
  • Reserve Education Assistance Program (Chapter 1607)
  • Vocational Rehabilitation – Veterans with Disabilities (Chapter 31)
  • Yellow Ribbon Program

Am I Eligible for Veterans Benefits?

You may be eligible for VA benefits, which are dependent upon your months of active duty service. To determine your level of coverage please begin by contacting an education specialist at a Department of Veterans Affairs regional office toll free at 888-442-4551 (888-GI-BILL-1).

Applying for Veterans Benefits at Unity College

You can apply for veterans benefits directly through the VA by using the VONAPP online application system.  We suggest that you print a copy of the completed form before submitting it online. While applying for veterans benefits in VONAPP, the first step is to choose the right application form. Here are your different options:

Option #1:
If you are applying for veterans benefits for the first time, then complete VA Form 22-1990, dependents use VA Form 22-5490.

Option #2:
If you have already received veterans education benefits at any other college or university, then complete VA Form 22-1995, dependents us VA form 22-5495.

What Else Do I Need to Do to Use Veterans Benefits at Unity College?

Certificate of Eligibility

After the Department of Veterans Affairs has received and processed your application, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility by mail. Your Certificate of Eligibility will indicate the Chapter of Educational benefits for which you are eligible, your student file number, the number of months of entitlement and the date on which the benefits expire. The VA requires Unity College to retain a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility, so please forward a copy to the Registrar’s Office at Unity College after you receive it. We cannot certify your enrollment to the Department of Veteran Affairs if we do not have a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

Applying for financial aid can assist veterans in closing the financial gap between veterans benefits and cost of attendance. We strongly encourage students to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which is an application for state and federal funding. The school code for Unity College is 006858.

Military Transfer of Credit

Unity College recognizes that members of the United States Armed Forces may have had significant learning experiences during the course of their military experience. Unity accepts credit recommendations for military experience and training according to the guidelines established by the American Council on Education (ACE). If you are using VA education benefits at Unity College, the VA requires Unity to evaluate all prior training for college credit. Please follow the steps below for the evaluation and possible placement of military credit:

Based on the branch of military served, submit the appropriate “institutional copy” of your transcript(s):

Your VA Contact at Unity College

Unity College VA certifying officials are here to assist you with the process of using your VA benefits. Please provide your school certifying official with a copy of your certificate of eligibility. Contact for the Unity College certifying official:

Heather McAnirlin
Assistant Registrar
Unity College Hybrid Learning
90 Quaker Hill Road
Unity, Maine, 04988
Phone: 207-509-7219

Questions?  Just ask!

We’re here to help. Contact us with any questions about veterans benefits.

* The GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Website at: http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.