Menu

open search close window
close window
close window

Information Technology – Associate of Applied Science

Information Technology

as a Resource to Help the Environment

It is a fact that technology is universal – from the alarm that jolts you out of your sleep in the morning to electric cars to rockets that propel people into outer space. All these systems require software, which Time Magazine described in 1984 as the “wizard in the machine.” Software can aid scientists, organizations, and individuals in preserving the environment and battling climate change. Renewable energy systems such as wind turbines and solar farms rely on technology to run them. Artificial Intelligence systems and machine learning systems are aiding in the fight against climate change with satellite imagery and data, smart cities, smart homes, and smart transportation to name a few. Database systems store colossal amounts of information on the environment which can then be used to mitigate the impact of climate change. 

Software Development is essential to the study of the environment as software developers create tools that enable environmental scientists and data analysts to conduct environmental research. In addition, software developers create monitoring tools and apps that assist in studying the environmental impact of everyday activities. 

The employment outlook for software developers is very bright according to the Bureau of Labor and Statistics and O*NET online. The wages for software developers are high, both in Maine and nationally. 

Our Information Technology degree is unique in Maine – delivered in a highly flexible (HyFlex) format, leveraging both live in-person and online options, from our brand-new high-tech classrooms in New Gloucester, Maine.

Learn more about this program.

How you will learn 

We at TIEP believe that we have taken all the best features of in-person learning and combined them with the best parts of online learning to create an innovative experience designed to meet the needs of a modern learner. Our brand new HyFlex classrooms are located at the Unity College campus on Pineland Farms in New Gloucester, Maine. 100% of the courses taught at TIEP are leveraging the HyFlex model designed for busy learners. In a HyFlex model, courses meet synchronously which can be in person or remote. These live classes, supported with cutting-edge technology, enable learners to ask questions (live or in chat), participate in classroom discussions and group work, as well as participate in “hands-on” labs and projects. Flexibility doesn’t end there; our state-of-the-art video recording and curating technology means that even if you must miss class (life happens) you can log in on your time and see what you missed. If you are struggling to grasp a particular subject being discussed in class, simply go back on your own time and re-watch. After viewing the recording, questions may come up; for this, our subject matter experts (or instructors) are there to help you get answers through both virtual and in-person support hours.  

What (competencies) you learn 

One of our guiding principles is that knowledge is what learners gain from the materials presented in the course, but competency is the ability to apply that knowledge through a task in a simulated work setting. A competency is a way to demonstrate knowledge, skills, and abilities. Below are a few of the many program competencies outlined with the Information Technology degree program.   

  • Apply a problem-solving process to solve hardware and software problems 
  • Demonstrate an understanding of program logic by creating flowcharts and structure charts. 
  • Demonstrate an understanding and an application of the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) Model, layers, and functions as well as operating systems and sub-systems. 
  • Design and code syntactically and logically correct operational programs using an assigned programming language. 
  • Manage code and code versions using a software repository. 
  • Implement solutions in a programming language using object-oriented design principles. 
  • Write static and interactive code in a scripting language. 
  • Discuss the ethical and societal issues related to information technology. 
  • Demonstrate an understanding of basic data science concepts, data manipulation techniques, and data integrity concerns. 
  • Demonstrate an understanding of personal computer hardware. 
  • Demonstrate an understanding of the software development process and software process management. 

Download More Info Now

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Is this an online program?

    At TIEP have took the best features of in-person learning and online learning to create an innovative and accelerated educational experience designed to meet the demands of a modern learners. Classes are taught synchronously at a set day and time like a most traditional course but only meet for about 20% of the time with the remaining 80% of the class being completed through guided online instruction.

  • How and where will I study?

    Classrooms are located in Freeport Hall, our new building on the Unity College Campus at Pineland Farms in New Gloucester, Maine. All programs are built on the principles of competency-based Education (CBE) allowing the institute to respond quickly to an ever-changing workforce .

  • How much does it cost?

    Our cost per credit is $250, and we anticipate most learners being eligible to received Financial Aid (federal & state), which can reduce out-of-pocket costs significantly. Learn more about Paying for College.

  • How do I find out if I’m eligible for Financial Aid?

    The process is simple, complete the FAFSA and make sure to include the Technical Institute for Environmental Professions at Unity College school code 006858. If you have questions about financial aid, paying for college, or the process, our staff is ready and eager to help.

  • When do classes start?

    A start date has not been finalized yet as we continue to build programs and actively work towards an anticipated launch some time in late summer or early fall 2022.

  • What am I going to learn?

    The competencies and skills needed to be prepared and career ready, when entering or progressing in your industry.

  • How do I apply?

    The application will be launched as we get closer to an official start date. Until then you should fill out an inquiry form and we will keep you up to date on our progress towards an anticipated opening in late summer or early fall 2022.

Contact Us Today

Address

Technical Institute for Environmental Professions
70 Farm View Drive
Freeport Hall – Pineland Farms
New Gloucester, Maine 04260

Maps and Directions

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Is this an online program?

    At TIEP have took the best features of in-person learning and online learning to create an innovative and accelerated educational experience designed to meet the demands of a modern learners. Classes are taught synchronously at a set day and time like a most traditional course but only meet for about 20% of the time with the remaining 80% of the class being completed through guided online instruction.

  • How and where will I study?

    Classrooms are located in Freeport Hall, our new building on the Unity College Campus at Pineland Farms in New Gloucester, Maine. All programs are built on the principles of competency-based Education (CBE) allowing the institute to respond quickly to an ever-changing workforce .

  • How much does it cost?

    Our cost per credit is $250, and we anticipate most learners being eligible to received Financial Aid (federal & state), which can reduce out-of-pocket costs significantly. Learn more about Paying for College.

  • How do I find out if I’m eligible for Financial Aid?

    The process is simple, complete the FAFSA and make sure to include the Technical Institute for Environmental Professions at Unity College school code 006858. If you have questions about financial aid, paying for college, or the process, our staff is ready and eager to help.

  • When do classes start?

    A start date has not been finalized yet as we continue to build programs and actively work towards an anticipated launch some time in late summer or early fall 2022.

  • What am I going to learn?

    The competencies and skills needed to be prepared and career ready, when entering or progressing in your industry.

  • How do I apply?

    The application will be launched as we get closer to an official start date. Until then you should fill out an inquiry form and we will keep you up to date on our progress towards an anticipated opening in late summer or early fall 2022.

Contact Us Today

Address

Technical Institute for Environmental Professions
70 Farm View Drive
Freeport Hall – Pineland Farms
New Gloucester, Maine 04260

Maps and Directions