Mixed Recyclables

All of these items can go into the Collection Stations located in buildings across campus. These items are hauled by Central Maine Disposal to the Norridgewock materials recovery facility, where they are sorted.


  • Rigid plastic items labeled #1 – #7
  • Soft plastic film or bubble wrap marked #4
  • Plastic grocery bags marked #2


  • Office paper, white or colored (staples, tape okay)
  • Envelopes (window okay)
  • News paper
  • Shredded paper
  • Paperboard (e.g., cereal boxes, snack boxes)
  • Magazines
  • Receipts
  • Books, hardcover or softcover

Cardboard (Must be Flattened)

  • Boxes
  • Pizza boxes (grease okay, but no food)


  • Steel
  • Tin cans
  • Aluminum cans
  • Aluminum foil
  • Aerosol cans – must be drained and punctured – if not, handle as hazardous waste


All colors, all sizes of jars and bottles

What about returnable bottles and cans?

Certain bottles and cans with the “ME 5c” label can be returned for cash at a local redemption center. Any individual who wishes to collect returnable bottles and cans on campus must register with the Sustainability Office so the materials can be counted toward the College diversion goal.


These items do not belong in the recycle containers! Trash is hauled by Central Maine Disposal to the Norridgewock landfill.

  • Food wrappers
  • Styrofoam
  • Napkins, paper towels
  • Dirty or wet paper, including disposable paper beverage cups, dirty paper plates
  • Incandescent light bulbs
  • Food
  • Wax- or plastic-coated paper (e.g., waxed cartons)

Other Recyclable Items

Specialty items like electronics contain valuable components such as metals, and may also contain hazardous materials that must be handled properly. Please collect these items in small quantities in your department, and then submit a work request for a pick-up. These items are taken by Unity College employees to the Unity Area Regional Recycling Center.


  • Lithium, lithium-ion, NiCa or rechargeable batteries ** each battery of these types needs to placed in its own zippered plastic bag**
  • Alkaline batteries
  • Lead-acid batteries

No leaking batteries accepted! Avoid skin contact and take them to a salvage yard.

Fluorescent bulbs, all shapes and sizes

Electronics – anything with a plug – please wrap up cords neatly and place small, loose items in boxes for easier handling

Mercury -containing thermometers, thermostats, and other equipment

Food Service Organics

  • Pre-consumer and post-consumer food scraps, as well as napkins, chopsticks, and tea bags, are collected in Wyman Commons and the Student Center and are sent to a digestion facility to be converted into biogas for energy.
  • At catered events, all biodegradable food service items, such as plates, cups, and utensils, are also collected for the digestion process. By recycling food service organics into energy, we are keeping these items out of the landfill.

Hazardous Wastes

These materials must not be placed in a landfill, and need to be managed as hazardous waste. Please work with Facilities to arrange proper containment and disposal.

  • Paint
  • Aerosol cans with contents
  • Motor oil, lubricants
  • Solvents
  • Blood, needles, and other medical waste

Questions: contact the Sustainability Office at 207-509-7295 or jdehart@unity.edu