Sustainable Achievements & Initiatives
At Unity Environmental University, we believe our biggest impact on creating a sustainable future is by making sustainability education flexible, affordable and accessible to all. That is why our strategic plan emphasizes meeting the needs of new audiences, wherever they may be. On top of that, we recognize our responsibility to model how a sustainable business can operate in a manner that supports fiscal, human, and planetary wellbeing. Here are some highlights of our efforts:
- 100% of Unity graduates complete programs that have at least one sustainability learning outcome
- 100% of research-producing units are engaged in sustainability research
- Students regularly use the areas around them including Unity facilities as living laboratories
- All student and employee orientation programs prominently include sustainability topics
- Students can voluntarily sign a Green Pledge, “to explore and take into account the social and environmental consequences of any job I consider and will try to improve these aspects of any organization for which I work.”
- Unity Environmental University has realized over 25% reduction in building energy use in Unity, ME, through efficient construction and retrofits
- 15% of electronic purchases, 80% of janitorial products, and 100% of copy paper meet recognized sustainability standards
- In 2008 Unity constructed the “net zero” Unity House, a space that was LEED Platinum certified in 2009 and rededicated in 2016 as mixed use for classroom, laboratory, and office space. LEED Platinum certification is the highest sustainability rating conferred by the U.S. Green Building Council.
- In 2012 Unity built TerraHaus, the first residence hall in the U.S. built to the Passive House standard which represents the highest international standard for energy efficiency.
- Sustainable operations decisions are written into policy
- Hybrid and low-residency models minimize the College’s carbon footprint
Planning & Administration
- Differentiated tuition rate for learners in the military
- Focus on career pathways for all students
- Unity Environmental University was the first to divest from fossil fuels
- Sustainability plays an important role at the senior leadership level and is woven into operations across the university.