open search close window
close window
close window

Military Tuition Assistance

The U.S. Armed Services offer Tuition Assistance (TA) to Active Duty, National Guard, and Reserve personnel who fulfill certain requirements. TA is a distinct source of financial aid for eligible service members and mandated to be the first payer of their college tuition.

Each branch of service has its own TA application form and procedures. Service members are required to first consult with an education counselor in their service branch on the specifics of using TA either by visiting their installation’s education office or an online virtual education center. 

Steps to Using Military TA

We recommend you start this process at least 4 weeks prior to your course start date.

  1. Apply for admission to the College.
  2. Meet with your Education Services Officer (ESO) for a briefing on TA.
  3. Register for courses; all branches require registration prior to approval.
  4. Print your degree plan.
  5. Request required TA forms through your branch education portal for each course with a unique start date.
  6. Army students Army students will need to create an account in the ArmyIgnitED portal to request TA.
  7. Air Force students will utilize an online system for requesting Air Force tuition assistance through the Air Force Virtual Education Center. You will apply for tuition assistance through the portal and submit Approved TA Vouchers to
  8. Navy, Marine Corps., and Coast Guard Students will submit an application through the Navy College Office’s Virtual WebTA portal and submit Approved TA Vouchers to
  9. Disclose all sources of aid: Contact the financial aid office if you plan to use multiple sources of aid, such as FSA or other scholarships.

Branch TA Portals

Each branch of the service has a specific TA process. Please select your branch portal below for the most up-to-date information.


ArmyIgnitED, a new platform replacing GoArmyEd, is now available to facilitate your education journey. You will use it to create an education path and request tuition assistance (TA) from the Army. If you are a current student and an active-duty soldier, Army National Guard member, or Army Reservist who plans to use Tuition Assistance (TA) to pay for school, you must create a student account in ArmyIgnitED.

If you will use TA to pay for school, here are your next steps:

  1. Apply to Unity College, if you have not done so already.
  2. Once you are enrolled in your first course, Visit and click “Get Started” to create your account in the platform. If you are having trouble selecting Unity College, it may be due to site latency or the Area of Study you have selected.
  3. Submit your Education Path request in ArmyIgnitED.
  4. Connect with your concierge or admissions counselor and let them know you have submitted your Education Path to ArmyIgnitED.

Unity College will approve your Education Path in ArmyIgnited and upload your enrollment information to the portal.

Once your account is created in ArmyIgnitED, you will use it whenever you wish to update your education path or request tuition assistance for courses.

In ArmyIgnitED, you will do the following:

  • Create an account
  • Create an education path
  • Submit your tuition assistance request once your education path is approved

Need help? See the “How-To” Guide to learn more about creating your student account in ArmyIgnitED.

Beyond TA: Alternate Payment Options

The total balance not covered by TA, including fees, must be paid in full by the first day of class unless other arrangements have been made.

Last Updated on December 13, 2021