Spouses & Dependents
How do I know if I am eligible?
Spouses may begin to use benefits immediately and can use benefits while their military spouse is on active duty or after separation. Spouses are not eligible for the monthly housing allowance while their military spouse is on active duty. Spouses can use their benefits for up to 15 years after their military spouse has left active duty.
For Children and Dependents
Children and Dependents can only begin to use benefits after the military member has completed a minimum of 10 years of service. In addition, children and dependents:
- Can use benefits while military member is on active duty or after separation.
- May be eligible for the monthly housing allowance even while military member is on active duty
- Are not subject to the 15-year rule, but must not use benefits before turning 26 years old
- Must have secured secondary school diploma, equivalent certificate, or be at least 18 years old to use benefits
Survivors and Dependents (Chapter 35) Checklist
- Apply at apply.unity.edu – Fast, easy, and free!
- Send unofficial transcripts and documents to email@example.com
- Send official copies of your JST or CCAF
- Complete forms through Vets.gov
- Click educational benefits
- Scroll down to the drop-down menu and answer questions
- Once the Apply Now button appears, click it and continue
- Complete the FAFSA – fafsa.ed.gov
- As a military service member, veteran, spouse, or dependant, Unity provides a reduced tuition rate so you can get the most from your benefits
- Send Certificate of Eligibility to Unity’s certifying official at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Receive your acceptance and confirm your intent to enroll by contacting us at email@example.com
Contact a Unity Environmental University Concierge if you have any question on how to do any of these steps – We’re glad to help!
Last Updated on September 22, 2023