5 Tips for Keeping Your Christmas Tree Fresh Through the Holidays
December 13, 2021
When it comes to keeping your Christmas tree fresh, there are some old wives’ tales to avoid – like putting an aspirin or even vodka in the tree stand water! None of this will help the basic process by which water moves up through the trunk of the tree to the branches. However, there are some things you can do to make sure your tree survives through the holidays.
- Find a fresh cut tree: When it comes to choosing a Christmas tree that will last, the fresher the better. If your tree isn’t freshly cut, make sure to give it a shake – if lots of needles come raining down, you should choose another tree.
- Give tree a clean cut at the base: If you’re purchasing a tree that’s been sitting on a lot, make sure to make a thin/flat cut across the base. This will prime the tree for proper hydration.
- Get in water right away and keep hydrated: Even the ride home can dry out your tree. Make sure to get it in water right away and keep it watered daily. Ensuring that you always have the base in water will help prevent a seal from forming over the base.
- Keep your tree cool: If you can’t put your tree up right away, it’s best to leave it in the cooler weather outdoors. Shaded areas are best.
- Keep away from heat source: When setting up your tree at home, keep it away from a radiator or other heat source. These heat sources will dry your tree out, potentially making it a fire hazard.